A Christmas report provided by HeartCry missionary Rema S*…
The Christmas service at our church was attended by over 300 people (the normal attendance of the church is under 100). Over 150 of these were visitors to the church. Several carols were sung during the service, and the children presented a nativity skit. A clear Gospel message about why Jesus was born was preached. After the service refreshments were provided for all present. Visitors filled out guest information cards during this time.
Several visitors (around 100) from the surrounding localities came to the church during the rest of the day (until 8:00 p.m.) because it was Christmas. They were told what the meaning of Christmas is and the Gospel was shared with them.
Christmas Outreach – Carol Singing
Carol singing was carried out on the 19th, 20th, 22nd, and 23rd of December. The first two days were spent in two villages. These are villages where weekly Bible studies are conducted by the church. Apart from encouraging the believers, this was a good opportunity to share the Gospel to those who do not know why Christmas is celebrated. In both villages the team of carollers sang carols and shared brief Gospel messages in the houses of various believers, culminating in a longer Gospel message in the last house. About 150 people were able to hear about Jesus and why he was born in these two villages.
On the 22nd and 23rd, the carol singing was organised within the city – in the homes of families who attend our church. On the first day the carollers went to families who live close to the church, and on the second day they went to those who live further away. At each house a few carols were sung, and a Gospel presentation was made. Families had been encouraged to invite non-believing friends and family members so that they could hear the Gospel presentation. 8 families were visited on the 22nd and 7 families were visited on the 23rd. The experience was a good time of fellowship for the church members, and we had several opportunities to share the Gospel with non-believers. Several tracts were also distributed during the carol singing.
Christmas Outreach – G_______ Nagar
A group of 11 people from our church were involved in a Christmas outreach in a park in G______ Nagar on Christmas Day, 2013.The team was invited to be a part of a Christmas party organised for children in the neighborhood. Apart from about 35 children who were at a Christmas party, about 20 adults were at the outreach. After singing three songs, there was a talk explaining the reason for Jesus’ birth. This was followed by 2 more songs. After this tracts and New Testaments taken by the group were distributed to all those who were interested.
Praise and Prayer Points
- Praise God for the several opportunities He gave us to reach out with the Gospel both in cities and villages – especially around Christmas. We approximate that more than 3,000 people heard the Gospel for the first time.
- Praise God for sustaining us in spite of struggles and challenges – both from outside and on the inside – in the last year.
- Pray that the seed of the Gospel that has been sown would bear fruit.
- Pray that the church members would grow in the Word and would be faithful to the local church.
- Pray for the village pastors as they faithfully serve in difficult settings.
- Pray for the three interns undergoing our internship program and the resident students living in the center of the city, that they would continue growing in the Lord and would have clarity about God’s plans for them.
- Pray for our leaders as they travel to speak at different places along with being involved with the affairs of the local church.
- Pray for people in North India to understand that both men and women are equally made in God’s image.
* For security reasons, a pen name is used for this missionary.